Sunday, January 31, 2016

Big Competitions in Ice Skating!



Post of the day has glide on in! Today I'll be talking about competitions I've competed in, so enjoy! As you may have heard millions and millions of times that I'm a figure skater so I decided to change this up a little! Instead of talking on and on about how I became a skater or my favorite moves and how to become more flexible... all of that boring stuff, sadly:( Now I'm going to talk about what t's like to be a competitor and some competitions I've been in. Like most competitors I enjoy seeing new faces, watching people perform, trading pins etc. Most of all I love going out there, skating my best leaving a positive feeling like I've worked hard, I'm doing great, and most of all I'm having fun! In my opinion I think one of the best part of big competitions is how you can see people from all around the world and see how there techniques and styles in skating. I also think once you start trading pins it gives you an idea of what there country is like which is quite interesting. I think in competitions it's important to have fun and be proud because if you don't enjoy competitions then why do them and waste your time when you could be doing something fun? Yet like there are things I don't like about competitions in ice skating such as it can be stressful, parents and skaters can become to competitive, and this is for female skaters. As a female ice skater, when ever you compete with a boy, the boy automatically wins no matter if the girl had a better program. This is because there's less male skaters. Yet I don't really think they thought this whole idea out between girls and boys because what if all the girls quitted because they were losing then they would have more boys and encourage girls to skate so it would be an off and on pattern. It seems like most people hate the stress in comps because you have to wear nice outfits get your hair done which requires special hair spray. Make up is a big part of stress make up takes up a lot of time to make it look good and match your skin tone and character. Also that the warm ups are only five minutes which is so little amount of time just for getting all your jumps and spins and rehearsing certain parts. You also basically have to show up a few hours before your competition and most competitions get behind schedule. Overall basically how competitions work is you show up two or three hours before sometimes they have special sessions just for warm ups, pretty awesome huh? LOL Anyways You can sign up for those but, if they don't have the sessions you can do a little bit of off ice stretches and warm ups. Next you put your outfit/costume then have your coach put your make up on which can take 10 mins to 30 mins. For example my sister was the mad hatter from Alice and Wonderland and her make up took about 30 mins to one hour. When you finish with that you have wait till it's your turn but, you have to make sure to put your skates about 10 minutes rarely before since they usually run behind. Luckily you can socialize or trade pins! Then your coach talks to you and wishes you luck five minutes before your turn. Then you skate your number, wait for your results, watch other people till you get board. Pick up your medal and leave. Thank you for reading Maybe this helped you get rid of nervousness if you haven't competed!

No comments:

Post a Comment