Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Band Playing The Oboe Part I

Quack, quack, squeak, squeak,  I know, I know that's not what the oboe is suppose to sound like but sadly the truth is when you play a note wrong or accidentally do not blow into the reed right your oboe will sound like a duck who's in pain.
Anyway in band this year my instrument is the Oboe! I wanted to play the Oboe because when we watched a solo on the Oboe in band the sound was a beautiful song I really liked the Oboe sounded also I love challenges and I heard the Oboe was a very hard instrument so, I was up for the challenge.
Two days later when I heard I got the Oboe I was really excited to play it. Over the past a few days learning how to put the Oboe together as well as taking it apart we started rolling on to making some noise, yeah! I started off with just practicing blowing into the reed with the proper technique. That is the main reason why the oboe is hard because you have to kind of press your lips together without puffing your cheeks. You also have to be careful not to by accident to chip your reed because the reed tip is very delicate that can be very easily chipped. Oboe players have to put the mouth on the far end close o where the green string that is wrapped around. Because the reed is so small you have to blow a lot of quick air, probably more the clarinet players do. 
Today in Band we worked on B flats in class when it was my turn to play that note I was a little tired of blowing air. Also because the Oboe is long it was uncomfortable having to stretch my fingers to touch the keys.  So far I love Band I think it's a really good class. In Band we had  lots of fun playing our instruments it hilarious when I messed up and others because we all had a really funky sound when we messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment